Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Mi Vida Loca


I am starting to etch out some kind of routine in my new life which currenty consists of school, Spanish classes and negotiating day to day life and loving it all. 
I am participating with three schools, each very different from each other and from MBS but all fascinating! The variety is fascinating and though provoking. 
My main school, North American College ( although we are in South America?), is a government subsidized high school, I am enjoying working with older students, inyear 12 and 13.  English is and has been compulsory for them for at least 6 Years.  Today we analysied the lyrics to a Bob Marley song Is this love?  Although teachers have to pay for their coffee, there is a t.v in the staffroom! On the whole, the students are keen and classes are full with 30+ in each.
My next school is Junior College is a fully private school with obvious benefits in facilities and standards. This school has students has about 600 students from Year 1 to 13). I am working with primary students, who are enthusaistic teachers themselves and the Spanish in their classes  is at least at level that I can understand!
Then there is a Montessori school, where I work with an English teacher who has a very interactive and communicative approach to teaching and learning.  Her philosophy is learning through play, these classes are so much fun and again I am learning a lot of Spanish from the kids who are so curious and keen to share. 
I have formal Spanish lessons three times a week, which is so incredibly necessary and helfpul!  Laura, my teacher' is from Switzerland.  Although French is her native language, she speaks flawless Spanish and good English, so is able to point out similarities and difference in vocabulary and grammar between these languages.
However, I do as much, if not more, learning in day to day conversation as I do in these formal lessons.  I am finding that making mistakes is, not only funny but, the best way learn!  My approach most of the time is to simply get the courage to open my mouth and hope that something comprehensible falls out and eventually I will get it right!  My flatmates keenly discuss, and patiently explain, all sorts of things from politics, to education, grammar, films, and local customs.  They are my best teachers.  They laugh easily which makes living with them great fun and helps to cross the language barrier.
As you can imagine with all these different professional experiences, approaches and philosphies, and constnatly needing to negotiate my way through a linguistic jungle ~ much time for reflection and analysis is needed.  Fortunately the beach is not to far away and it`s always sunny! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment